Kate O'Brien

Monday, February 22, 2021

Lockdown 3: Chronicles of a Writer in Lockdown with M.E.



Writing continues to evade me. This is the first writing I've physically sat down and focused on for a week, although my brain is constantly plotting and rethinking moments in two ongoing stories and my notebook is full of the odd scribble, quote or comment gleaned from my life beyond, inspired by dreams and the books I’m reading. I’m currently reading the first draft of my latest novel very slowly and planning my next through researching and making copious notes. I rarely live in reality and that suits me. My health has slowed me right down but I’m still moving forward, albeit at a snail’s pace!

But life is hard for everyone at the moment. Financially, we are squeezed beyond reason to pay our bills, feed our families and have a little spare for the sweeter moments in life such as a takeaway or eBay special! Free time is well spent on a zoom call with a friend, losing myself in a film or book, a cheeky game of Candy Crush or my online French lessons to distract me. We’re currently in Lockdown 3 and shielding again is taking its toll for many of us. I’m safe, warm and have food in the cupboards- I’m aware I’m in a much better position than so many and I’m grateful for that.


Currently, the great news is that vaccines have been rolled out to everyone over 70 and there is real hope that people with ME will be included in Group 6. I am keeping my fingers crossed for us all!
The ME Association have headed a campaign which has involved its members contacting their GPS with current medical evidence citing ME as a neurological condition requiring vaccine with some urgency and requests that the ME community are included in the Group 6 vaccines.
 

Copy of letter for persons with ME to adapt and send to GP


In terms of homeschooling, I am now getting off quite lightly as my teenagers are used to remote learning now and are keeping up to date with lessons. Thankfully they are in touch with their friends via tech once lessons are done for the day. The house sounds full when they start all gaming or FaceTiming together! They’re now also adept in the kitchen whipping up all sorts of creations at all hours so I know they’ll survive living alone when the time comes.


I have a routine of sorts each day which is definitely helping but I am feeling more of a hermit this time round than ever. The routine is proving to be key to my feeling of contentedness and I’m trying to keep up with these engagements when I can.


I tune in to a fabulous show each week run by dear friends Bill and Kate Hull Rodgers from @steppingstonetheatre - a fabulous double act talking all things mental health. Another weekly tune in is an online @rockchoir where we learn songs in four part harmony and the singing really lifts me. 
I’m part of a fab online writers group called Scribblers which I attend each week. The group of writers, led again by my talented friend, Kate Hull Rodgers, we are taken through our paces creating written pieces from prompts. I love the writing exercises but mostly I enjoy hearing each other’s stories. 
There seem to be more ways than ever to access support and distractions and forcing myself to do just that really helps.


If pain levels are too high, I top up my pain meds and watch a film or tune into a boxset - my easy viewing of choice is currently Ru Paul’s Drag Race UK (fabulous pick me up) and Married At First Sight Australia (watching the different personalities interacting is riveting).


Until I can get back to the cinema, I’m hammering Netflix for their films such as Kodachrome (Ed Harris travelling to Parsons, Kansas with his nurse and his son - just brilliant) and I really make an event of it. As I am shielding, online food shopping is bringing me popcorn to complete the experience!


The inspiring artwork of Charles Mackesy is lifting so many of us. My mum bought me the book last year and I look at it most days. It just helps me recalibrate if my mood slips.

Living with chronic pain is a full time occupation and without these events/support mechanisms firmly in place, I really do sink. I’m learning to listen to my body and not push myself too hard but also be aware of the condition of my mental health. Some days I can tick off everything in my diary’s To Do list while other days it’s 3pm and I’ve barely registered. I’m learning to be gentle with myself though as my inner critic is a harsh bossyboots easily annoyed and infuriated by inactivity. A battle I’m still working on - she’s quite intimidating when she gets started!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please follow my blog and leave your comments ✌️

Recent Blog Post

Is it my ME or could it be something else? We follow the clues ...

  Life has thrown a few sticks of dynamite my way again. But by overdoing it one night my flare-ups are consistent in terms of time but I’m ...

Labels