Kate O'Brien

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Rotherham Arts Creative Q&A: Kate’s Author Life

I recently took part in a Q&A session with Rotherham Arts Creative, a fabulous hub of support to the arts community. I thought I'd share it with you.

Rotherham Arts Creative Q&A


I live in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, with my two teenage sons and four cats. I grew up there before studying at Bretton Hall College (now Yorkshire Sculpture Park) where I wrote my first children’s book (as yet unpublished!) which was a huge success - six people read it and liked it. 100% positive feedback! I then taught in London for twelve years before moving back up to Rotherham after becoming mum to my two boys. I'm actively involved in charity events and love use my writing to help and engage with others.



 I published my first novel, Driftwood & Amethyst in 2011. The blurb reads:

a story of two friends who, while on a seaside holiday, encounter a lost boy, a mysterious puppeteer and the remarkable Mrs Dawson as lines between daytime and dreamtime become blurred.

The Pixie Plot followed in 2016 which is a dark tale of friendship, faerie folk and betrayal set against the backdrop of a tiny Yorkshire village.

Throughout, I’ve supported children’s and young adults’ personal writing through charity and therapeutic events. 

I also write a blog which outlines my life as a disabled writer.

Why do you create and how are you creative?


It’s very true that writers are born from readers. I’ve always been an avid reader and the books I read often inspire me to write. Good stories live with me. I’ve written from being a child, usually stories with mystical, magical undercurrents. 

I always have a notebook when I go anywhere and places I visit set me off. For example, a day at Creswell Craggs inspired the caves in The Pixie Plot and a curiosity shop in Whitby inspired the puppet shop in Driftwood and Amethyst. We writers are magpies, we really are.

I am inspired by people I talk to, news stories, films, art, music, buildings, unusual settings and quirky objects I find in junk shops and museums. Anything can trigger an idea.


What was the last thing you created and when?


I write children’s novels, dark faerie fiction rooted in reality. I am currently working on my third children’s novel set within a matriarchal family unit where sea magic and family secrets feature heavily. I am currently developing a night time chapter where certain secrets are being uncovered - so exciting to write! I do love writing scenes where secrets are revealed. I often don’t know the whys and wherefores until I’ve written them. I’m building up certain relationships and laying foundations again for later in the story which is all good. I work from notes I’ve made and refer loosely to my plan as I always go off at a tangent here and there.

I also write a blog about my writing called KatesWords which documents my life and my writing process. I keep a diary of sorts each day which I draw on for that. I publish once or twice a month.

Who is your favourite creative?



I am heavily inspired by Margaret Atwood, Angela Carter and Diane Setterfield in terms of authors (Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens, Mary Shelley and Charlotte Bronte need a mention too) and I love the poems of Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson and Elizabeth Browning. My inspiration also comes from art from the likes of Arthur Rackham, John William Waterhouse, Edward Burne-Jones, Brian Froud and Jan Pienkowski. I’m influenced by directors such as David Lynch who captures the darkness of life so well - I like to weave the dark into my characters’ personalities and experiences.  As a huge Hayao Miyazaki fan, films like Spirited Away inspire me to create magic in ordinary situations.


What challenges do you face in your practice? Are there any constraints and limitations? 



I have complex health conditions which limit the amount of time I can spend writing each day which is incredibly frustrating! However, when I can’t write, I’m reading, taking notes, daydreaming (yes, that really counts), listening to music, watching films and getting outside wherever possible. Then I have a body of ideas to draw from on better days.


Any advice, hints, tips or wise words to your fellow creatives? 

Be creative and be open to inspiration coming from anywhere - always have that notebook/sketch book handy! Keep focused and keep going despite any challenges and ensure that you keep going back to your work - don’t be disillusioned when times get tough. During these times just do things differently and chip away at the piece you’re working on.


What are your ambitions for the future and your current practice?



Currently I’m right in the middle of my latest novel and I’m developing that each day. I attend arts and book events when I can - I love to meet people who have read my book and have ideas for what happens to certain characters next. It’s really important for me to inspire children and young people to write - at events I encourage young people to write, make books and note down ideas just to get the creativity flowing. I want to continue with this and my own writing, collaborating with other writers and artists where possible. 



What do you think the benefits to being part of a creative network are?

Certainly in terms of being inspired by others, either by meeting up with other artists or having the opportunity to see their work, that’s a huge benefit. Bring a writer is rather solitary so it’s always good to touch base with like minded people and support each other. Rotherham is such a hub of creativity and so is also great for collaborating ideas and helping each other out. Sheffield is great for that too. There’s a real spirit of community here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please follow my blog and leave your comments ✌️

Recent Blog Post

Is it my ME or could it be something else? We follow the clues ...

  Life has thrown a few sticks of dynamite my way again. But by overdoing it one night my flare-ups are consistent in terms of time but I’m ...

Labels